Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Conference Follow-up - Day 29 - Setting Goals
It is so important that we seek the Lord for His will, set goals towards fulfilling it, and take action on those goals!
Someone once wisely said, "No one plans on being mediocre, mediocrity is the result of no plan at all."
Proverbs 29:18 tells us, "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."
One of the greatest temptations we face is to drift through life without clarified goals or true vision. In Christ we are called to so much more than this, friends! Proverbs 14:15 says, "...the prudent man looketh well to his going." Let your vision be Christ. As you seek and keep your eyes on Him, allow Him to give you a vision for your life and to help you set goals that will help make that vision real in your life.
A goal is something that helps you clarify your priorities, grasp what you want to accomplish, and give you something towards which to work.
It is so important that you personally seek the Lord and set goals for your life!
As you set goals, ask yourself:
- Why am I here on earth?
- What are (should be) my priorities?
- Where will these priorities and the resulting choices lead?
- How will this impact my life, those around me, and eternity?
A good process for goal setting is to seek the Lord and:
- Confirm what your goal is. (Set realistic goals. This could be memorizing a verse or two of Scripture a week vs. memorizing the book of Job in a day!)
- Figure out how you are going to practically work towards it. (See below.)
- Ask the Lord for His help. (We can’t do this on our own, but God gives us grace to do everything He calls us to do!)
- Take action! (Goals are good, but if you don’t act on them, they are not going to help you much!)
For example, my biggest goal is to know the Lord more. Writing it out could be something like this:
Goal #1 - To know the Lord more.
Application to life:
- Give Him priority over other things.
- Spend time with Him every day. (Even set a certain amount of time and what part of the day you will aim for.)
- Read a book that will encourage you in your walk with Him.
~ Today - Seek the Lord and set 3 goals for your life. Write out application steps for each goal. Choose 1 goal to focus on today.
We’d love to hear what your goals and plans of action are! E-mail them to us at email@example.com!
Proverbs 4:26, "Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established."